Saturday, June 2, 2012

Cav's perfect legs - Sunday Snapshot

Years ago, when Brahm was born, I became fascinated with photographing what was unique to each persons :disability".  Maybe it is my nursing background, and my fascination with genetics.  The very items they use to diagnose my son, I also wanted to document for their uniqueness, that designated our journey as well as made him extra special.

Interestingly, over the past few months, we have fallen in love with Cav's odd limbs.
THe way his foot folds,
the fibula that sticks out and allows him to climb,
his nine little toes and the lack of bigs.

Most importantly, I fell in love with his feet as I watched him sleep.

So tonight, as we face surgery on Monday I wanted to capture these last images of his legs while he was sleeping, with jsut the light from the closet (his left).

Although we knew from the beginning of the journey he would need amputation surgery in order to walk, we still find ourselves beginning to mourn the loss of those imperfectly perfect limbs that have carried him so very far.


Interestingly, and although I almost never post SOOC pics, I just couldn't edit these (the top was cropped to the left a teeny bit.  I loved the yellow from the closet bulb, and the feeling of warmth.

If you think of him on Monday please pray for the surgeons hands, and Cav's overall well being.  He is ready for surgery - to him it means he will finally get shoes (not til August but this is the first step.)


Ni Hao Yall

7 comments :

  1. Still....I understand why you are sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know what you're saying!! When we adopted our sweet achon last year my mom confessed she was praying for a miracle and for God to grow his limbs to average height ones. I just kept saying how perfect his body is. After we got him and watched him walk, run and just be she fell in love with that little round apple but and those sweet legs and arms and prayed for God to keep him as is...as he's so perfect!! God doesn't make mistakes!!!

    I will pray for his surgery, surgeons hands, mama and daddy's hearts and know that he is on the road to something great!!! Can't wait to see his first shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! And praying for y'all and the surgeons as y'all prepare this weekend and for y'all on Monday and for the weeks and months following as y'all adjust to Cav's new normal! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I'm a nurse as well, and think what you said is fascinating. That's one of the things I love about photography. Somehow, when I look through my lens, I just see beauty in people.....the uniqueness of God's creation, regardless of what others see as beautiful or not, healthy or not, "normal" or not. I love that you documented this. Praying for you all tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. We have a little boy here with similar legs. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine how bittersweet an amputation surgery is... you love your son just as he is! But yet want him to be able to be and do all he can. Prayers for surgery and a quick recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. God made him perfect from the very beginning. It's okay to be sad but he will be able to do so much more soon! :) Prayers for Cav!!!

    ReplyDelete