Thursday, April 12, 2012

Disabled

When our little man was born to us, the one thing I swore was that we would NOT make him a chronic child.

AS a nurse we would cringe when these kids would come in - whispering that a parentectomy was the only surgery that would help.

I am afraid though I might have gone to the opposite extreme.  This became very evident this past weekend.

We took the little ones to a Starlight Easter Egg Hunt.  Let me first say we LOVE Starlight foundation.  We are extra blessed because they partner with the Cadets at the Air Force Academy and put on some pretty incredible events for kids with disabilities and chronic illnesses.


Anyhow, we enjoyed all of the games, food and inflatables.  As usual I was floored by Cav's incredible ability and strength.







And then I was confronted with the breakdown of the Easter Egg hunts, 0-4 years, 5-9 years or wheelchair / physically challenged.

With the two others I thought no problem we will do the 0-4 year old group.


Very quickly the realization hit me that regardless of what we think of Cav, he is disabled, he CAN'T keep up with the other kids and this poor angel ended up with a whole ZERO eggs.  I had to leave him sitting there while I ran after the other two but my heart just broke for him.

I swallowed my pride (not even sure that is it) and took him to the physically challenged egg hunt.  Although he was far more abled than the other kids, filling his bucket and then his pockets, it's where he belonged atleast this year.





He was so funny, he shook EVERY egg next to his ear and would only place the ones that rattled in his basket!!


3 comments :

  1. Beautiful post of growth! I finally got to catch up on your blog! Love! Love! Love your photos and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of Cav climbing is incredible!!!
    Glad everyone had a nice time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some cute pics! I can tell the kids had a great time. Swallowing our mommy pride and allowing our kids to be "different" can be hard, but it can also make them stronger.

    You've heard my bro's story of CP. It's what made him who he is today. Cav will have a powerful testimony one day! He already does in getting a family like yours. :)

    ReplyDelete