Friday, April 20, 2012

Empowered?

I feel so fortunate to be close to Denver.  My dear hubby was able to rearrange his schedule and stay home wiht the kids today.  So I got up early and left at 6:30 and made the trek to Denver in hopes they were still selling tickets at the door for the Empowered to Connect conference. 

I was thrilled to get a seat, and then settled in, in hopes of learning a little morsel of information.  Little did I know it would cut to the core and make me rethink everything I thought I knew. 

You know when you have your first born and you suddenly wake up one day realizing that something you were sure was right was completely WRONG!

Yeah that was today.

One example, we have been cutting back on the snacks and amount of food for FeiFei.  It has become almost a constant battle.  She is perpetually hungry.  We are only trying to preserve her joints etc.  Yeah wanna guess a possible reason for the issues I described yesterday.  Dr Purvis recommends feeding them every 2 yes TWO hours! 

Another nice litle tidbit - we are NOT ever going to be a "normal" family.  I don't know why this took me by such surprise BUT frankly it was a bit freeing.  I mean really, we have two children with dwarfism, two children with brown skin, and a double amputee.  We are conspicious because of my husbands business, where we live, not sure why I thought adding our little ones would make us less conspicious.

So much to think about.  I believe the information is crusical for all adoptive parents.  BUT I also saw a huge need for all of our parents who had NICU graduates.  So much those sweet babies had to go through jsut to save their lives, but at what cost.  I can tell you that we as nurses do everything possible to try and eliminate adverse effects.  Nesting, soft touch, consolidating procedures, - so many things we can do but I fear that after todays conference we are missing a huge part of sending them home.

I also realized for the first time that this may explain a lot about our oldest daughter.  She was born to us, and my pregnancy with her was beyond a disaster.  I was so sick with severe hyperemesis, that Dr's feared for my eyesight and organs.  I was fed through a PICC line for the majority of the pregnancy.  In addition, she had sever colic FOR NINE MONTHS ugh.  They were rough days. 

Now I wonder if her delay in reading, school etc were all based on the cycle Dr Purvis spoke about.  I sure wish I had known about this information long ago.

I will say though - it scared me.  If my kiddos weren't home, I know for a fact I would not have brought two home at once.  I would have been entirely to scared.

So much more to think about.  I did buy the DVD's since I don't think I will be able to attend tomorrow.

1 comment :

  1. Ever since I read The Connected Child years ago, I thought it should be required reading for adoptive parents. It is my FAVORITE adoption related book. I'm glad you were able to attend the conference.

    ReplyDelete